Old 01-07-2006, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Old Man's Oatmeal

JennyC wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote
I've come across this phrase recently, referring to a hedgerow plant.
But I can't find any reference to it, either in my wild flower books
or on Google. Old man's beard, yes, but not oatmeal. Has anyone come
across it, and what's the usual (or even latin) name for it.
Chris

[...]

There seem to be lots of references to "Bad mans oatmeal" (Hemlock) which
might be a derivitive of the name ?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/h...onhemlock.html

Hmm. I still prefer to think of myself as middle-aged, but I don't like
the sound of that at all. Is it a reference to a discreet way of
getting rid of Dad?

"Ash beans and long oats" used to be slang for a thrashing, and "give
[someone] his oatmeal" was slang for "punish": could be clues.

--
Mike.