Old 02-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Moreford Moreford is offline
Registered User

Location: Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey/London border

I pruned my apple tree in December and quite heavily overpruned it - as a result the remaining trunks are growing away quite a lot, though there is not much sideways branch growth (or side branches!). I have heard that to stop this kind of growth you need to prune in August. I would like if possible to get it back to some kind of apple-tree like shape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC
Hi there,

I have recently moving into an old house with a mature garden. There is a
neglegted apple tree in the garden which I would like to get under control.
Over the winter I removed all the dead and broken branches but after that
I'm not too sure what to do. I've read a few articles about fruit tree
pruning and I think I have the general gist that I need to get it into a
goblet shape - other than that does anyone else have any advice?

Brent