Old 02-07-2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar

Default Cucumber beetles continued

In article , "Matthew
Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam says...

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article , says...

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article , "Matthew
Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam says...
These pests are devestating my cukes, squash, and are nibbling
on my
beans
and sunflowers. I don't want to use the chemicals because the
plants
are
starting to produce - my zuccinnis are exploding, cukes are
blooming,
etc.
What works with these things, but won't render the fruit of the
plants
inedible?

-- There are BT strains for beetles, but not sure if I have ever
seen it
on the consumer market yet....pyrethrum spray has no residual so a
spraying at night should help a lot and not bother your harvest
time.
Lar

In my experience Pyrethrum has little effect on these beetles and the
damage
they do.

Pyrethrum is a continual use product for population reduction. Many feel
a spray or two and they should have results they want. It only kills
what it contacts so the next few days a new population can make their
way to the crops and look to have done no good at all. A nightly
application for one to two weeks will show results and then start again
as needed.
--
Lar

What about pyrethrum with piperonly butoxide? The bottle says you can use it
on the same day as harvest.

It's the piperonly butoxide that makes pyrethrum effective...think
(thought) all pyrethrin/um products contained it.
--
Lar

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.