Old 02-07-2006, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob

Default Do Picked Watermelons Coontinue to Ripen?

TQ wrote:

Watermelons do not continue to ripen once they/ve been removed from the
vine, so there/e no benefit in waiting.

True. In fact people used to store them in a cool dark place, like a
closet, and eat them in December.

As to thumping, I listen for a deeper hollow sound vs a solid sound and
9 times out of 10 I'll get a good melon. Looking for a pale underside
doesn't always work since many farmers will roll the melons during
growth to get a pretty marketable look. Also, my experience is the
darker green the rind is, the sweeter the melon so I rarely buy the
pale green ones.

Bob