Old 02-07-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pat Brennan

Default Nicotine solution for bugs?

Thanks for the heads up on Natriphene. I was never impressed with the
stuff. The next time the county is collecting surplus chemicals I'll make
sure to turn in what I have left. Another good one to turn in is the old
bags of Kocide 101.

With Dithio off the market, the recommended substitute is nicotine. While I
have been nursing along my finial cans of Dithio, I have talked to the
manufacture, extension rep and other growers about using nicotine fumigants.
I expect this is the route I will go if I get into a thrip war this summer.
Smallest size can treats 10,000 cu. ft. and requires a permit to buy.

As for making your own nicotine spray, does not seem like a real smart idea
to me.

Pat

"Aaron Hicks" wrote in message
Rob and the others have it right- skip the nicotine.

I only wanted to chime in and add that, when reminiscing with
oldtimers, it is considered courtesy to roll your eyes and say, "Oh, MAN.
Remember Black Leaf 40? Hoo boy!" when the subject of banned pesticides
comes up.

Double ditto for Natriphene.

The address in the header is not valid. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ