Old 03-07-2006, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

Default Why does my fertilized lawn look even better where I also planted tree food spikes?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I can't complain about my lawn (well, I guess I can hence this message)
but I'd like to know why my lawn looks even better in little circles
around where I've inserted some basic food spikes to feed trees and
shrubs. The lawn is even more vibrant and a darker green.

On the lawn itself I'm doing basic things: using Turf Builder as
prescribed, aerating twice a year, watering 2-3 times a week. I'm in
San Francisco, so climate is not too hot. Again, it looks decent
overall, but markedly better where the spikes have gone.

I live just a bit south of you, in San Jose. What I do, is ever year around
april/may is I core the lawn with an aerator. Then I use a spreader to
distribute a 50/50 mix of blood and bone meal, and follow that by raking in
a layer of composted steer manure.

Lawn seems to like it, and stays healthy enough. Turning greener, suggests
it lacks nitrogen. So try adding a slow source of nitrogen, such as blood
meal. This time of year the ground is just too dry to easily work into the
soil.

-S