Old 18-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default Water Hyacinth 101?

Lee Brouillet wrote:
Ah HA! Cooperation between the fish . . . who'da thunk it? I've heard them
suckin' rocks (the ones around the edge of the pond), but didn't think about
sucking on the bulbs. . . I took a hoola hoop and covered it in black duct
tape (it was bright blue and bubble gum scented!), tossed it in the pond,
and then tossed the WH into the hoop, to keep them corraled. My thoughts
were to offer shade . . . but they eat the durn things, instead! First the
roots, then bites out of the bulbs and leaves. I'm going to the AFKAPS
seminar this weekend, so all bets are off regarding "extra time". But next
week, I'm going to sew a net around the hoola hoop and THEN put the WH
inside. Then the little buggers won't be able to get to them (I hope . . .
G) I pulled the WH that was in the pond originally and put it in one of
the waterfall ponds to recouperate, and put watercress in the hoop . . .
normally they eat the leaves but leave the stems behind: this time they ate
everything, stems and all. Will they eat fresh spinach???

Lee

Hi Lee,
My fish would simply go over the edge of the hoop after I
put the net onto it, then I had to get them out. Hope it
works better for you ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ