Old 03-07-2006, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default Bees nesting in a plant pot ?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Simon writes:
| Hi all,
| I have a newly planted cordyline in a 12" pot and noticed today very
| black looking bees going in and out of the pot. I have a layer of 20mm
| gravel on the top of the pot for moisture retention.
| Question is will they harm the plant ?

The normal answer is "no", but there is something a bit odd. Many
ground nesting, solitary or small-group bees will nest in pots, and
they can simply be ignored - though they do interfere with repotting.

But black looking bees are normally honey bees

???

and (a) they rarely
nest in the ground and (b) only the largest pot would be big enough
for them! So, IF they are honey bees, they are almost certainly
visiting for supplies (perhaps even water).

IF they are honey bees and the compost is moist they might visit it for
water but they'd only sit on the surface to sip it.

No bees will damage the plant, whatever kind they are.

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.