Old 03-07-2006, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree with birds nest - chopping it

Thanks to all info.

To answer Malcolm's specific comment... why the desperation... It's the
people behind me, who keep asking me to chop it, and this past weekend
they threatened me with legal action (It's less than 3metres tall)
citing that it's blocking their sunlight (I don't agree, as it's to the
North of them - if anything, it blocks my sunlight).

I'll dig the ladder out tonight and go climbing.

Thanks again,

Ian

Malcolm wrote:
In article . com,
" writes
I have a tree (Ok, Lleylandi sp?) I desperately need to trim the top
off. However, there is a birds nest about half way up it (way below
where I intend to chop). Nest appears to be vacant, but I cannot be
certain. I think the birds are starlings.

Is there any time I can safely assume the nest would be vacant in order
to perform the appropriate chopping of the tree?

They are unlikely to be starlings as that species nests in holes.
Blackbird or Song or Mistle Thrush are more probable.

If you are going to trim the top off, presumably you have a ladder so
why not climb up and have a look? You won't do any harm if it is
occupied. If it is, then with incubation and fledging periods both
around a fortnight, you won't have long to wait. If you can't do that,
then simple observation should confirm whether or not the nest is
occupied. An incubating bird usually has its bill and tail sticking out
over the edge of the nest. If young are being fed, the parents will be
coming in at frequent intervals.

But why the desperation to lop the tree? Wait until September and you
will be past the breeding season of all three species. Blackbirds and
Mistle Thrushes rarely have young in the nest after early July, Song
Thrushes sometimes continue into August.

--
Malcolm