Old 03-07-2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.ponds
Merriora

Default Waterfall Feature in front of tall Cedar Shrubs - Suggestions?

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I've been checking out
Koiphen.com and have seen some great pictures of waterfalls to start to
get some ideas from. I am sure I will be asking more questions in
the future once I get the project started.

RM

Hal wrote:
On 1 Jul 2006 22:44:15 -0700, "Merriora" wrote:

IE: The cedar shrubs would be the backdrop for the waterfall. I would
like it to look as natural as possible, so this would include creating
a hill in the corner of the yard by the shrubs and planting other
plants around the waterfall. However, I am lost for ideas and not sure
it this could ever look good. Has anyone done anything like this and
have examples (pictures) they are willing to share?

I started with a pond. To build just a waterfall feature and catch
basin that is safe for small children would take a bit of planning for
me. The height of the waterfall, the volume of water and the volume
of the catch basin are all factors to consider carefully. Pump head
is the term used by manufacturers to tell you how high the pump will
pump water above the surface of the catch basin, and the volume may be
reduced drastically at heights depending on the pump. The volume of
water flowing over your falls is a bit tricky too. The width and
height both play a part in the appearance of the falls as well as
steps in the falls, if you have splash steps on the way down. In
short the bigger and better the falls the more water you need in the
catch basin. Evaporation of about an inch in three days occurs on my
pond during this time (Summer, Zone 8.) of the year. YMMV, but you
will have evaporation and the catch basin will need to be replenished,
the smaller the more often you will need to add water. Water will
grow algae of some type and if you don't intend to have fish, you will
still have critters find your catch basin and make themselves at home.

It sounds like an interesting project and I hope you success on the
first try.

Regards,

Hal