Old 04-07-2006, 08:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS

Default Crabgrass

Matthew Reed wrote: I lived in Las Vegas for 15 years. Healthy fescue
or rye or other grasses
will keep the crab grass and bermuda out, but once it's established, you are
pretty much stuck with it. In the winter it will die out, and you can plant
a winter rye type of grass and keep it well watered. Not sure if that will
stop the crabgrass from coming back or not.

Andy writes:
It won't in north Texas.... I had a nice rye lawn thru the winter,
and was
waiting for it to die off this spring and the Bermuda to re-establish.

Great globs of crabgrass came in before the Bermuda.... Bummer....
Next year I will try the pre-emergent .

Andy