Old 04-07-2006, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bruce Musgrove

Default Sticky stalks

Thank you. I am used to seeing this assoicated with aphids and a few other
pest, but could find no trace of them on any of the plants. I did not know
it is normal on this.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Bruce,

The sticky stuff is called honeydew, and it is quite common.

It most likely (most often) is harmless, or even a sign of a healthy
plant.

BUT sometimes honeydew is a sign of pests, because some pests either
produce sticky stuff themselves as part of digestion process, or when they
chew on the plant more honeydew is the result, or honeydew attracts some
pests because it is sweet. So whenever you see a plant with lots of the
sticky stuff, check it carefully for any signs of pests (make sure to
check under the leaves and in crevices, and look for damage to leaves that
may have been caused by pests). If you do not find any, then the honeydew
is just harmless.

Some people prefer to wipe the honeydew off, so that it does not attract
pests, but others just leave it alone, and most of the time that's fine.

Joanna

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
I noticed on one of my Phaleonopsis today the the flower stalk at the top
near the bud and one flower has become very sticky, like someone spilled
sugar water on it. Didn't see any bugs such as Aphids on the plant.
Knowing some plants exude sap (and still being a newbie to orchids)....
Is this unusual? it is at the very tip between a flower junction and the
new bud junction coming in on the tip?