Old 04-07-2006, 03:32 AM posted to rec.ponds
John Paul Jones

Default Magnetic tape as filter media - advice of a chemical expert?

It works just fine.......I have some old 8 track and cassette tapes I
used for ribbon media in a small fitler ona 90 gal tank, and it works
fantastic. It would be a biut better if it had a bit mre strength so
it did not fold over on itself but it still works

On 3 Jul 2006 07:59:20 -0700, "Etienne"
wrote:

Hi,
We have seen many alternatives on filter media - ( plastics, rock,
shredder,..), but does anybody has experience with using magnetic tape
( video, audio) as filter media?
Since it is all about creating a huge amount of surface this substance
could fulfill our needs.
One reel of a video-tape delivers an enormous amount of surface. The
question I have is about the chemical reaction in water of the tape: is
this chemically inert?
Is there any chemical expert in the group who has an opinion on this
question? The test I did was putting the tape in water for 3 months -
the water is still cristal clear; I observe no visible contamination of
the water sofar. Or has somebody a suggestion on how to test eventual
contamination?

You can reach -Ed Alston at