Old 04-07-2006, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw

Default Keeping a fountain clean

Natty Dread wrote:
I have a lion's head fountain on my patio with about a 12 gallon fill basin
on the bottom. The water flows out of the lion's mouth into an upper basin
with three outlets in which I stacked some river rocks to improve the
flows. There are no fish or plants. Algae has started to accumulate on the
rocks and in the bottom basin, and I'd like to put somethingin the water to
keep down the green. My dad suggested bleach, but birds use this fountain
as a bird bath and I don't want to do anything to hurt them. Any
suggestions? If bleach would work, how much should I put in, or in what
ratio of bleach to water? Thanks in advance for any info. If you need to
see the fountain to get an idea of the size, here's a link:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...6DA&lpage=none

Rhonda
Richmond, VA
USDA Zone 7

Basic human psychology is one of my subroutines.

You might try a google search for "prevent fountain algae" (without the
quotes of course). Loads of answers pop up and one of them may be what
you want.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]