Old 04-07-2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Squirrel Repellent

In article . com,
"AndyS" wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote: I've shot tree rats... but I eat them.
Tree squirrel is delicious.
--
Peace!
Om

Andy comments:

Yeah, but I got tired of skinning them... I had to do it all when the

wife went to town shopping......
I found the meat fairly tough, and not as good as chicken, so I
figure it's not worth the trouble for me....

Really? I'm surprised...

As I was advised, I wetted them before skinning them to prevent fur
shedding on the meat. I then gutted and quartered them with a pair of
poultry shears. I cooked them hot and fast in a bit of butter and olive
oil with some lemon pepper, and found the meat to be surprisingly tender
and succulent, so much so that I now go after them whenever I can. ;-)
They have learned this so are now harder to hunt......

How did you cook them?

They are fun to watch as they go about THEIR business.

I used to think so too. I used to get mad at folks that shot them, until
they started chewing holes in my siding, and getting generally
destructive and costly!

It's when
they go about MY business that I lose patience....If killing one or
two a year is what it takes to keep , literally , dozens, away from the

garden, then it is a small price to pay....

I just want them to be afraid to go in my garden... it seems to
work...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

so do hotwires if you really don't want to kill them......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson