Old 05-07-2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Helen

Default Carrot leaf eater

Hello all
I'm growing carrots but something keeps eating the tops of them -
virtually the moment the seedling starts to grow it's gone. What I
can't work is what - I use slug pellets and to be honest haven't seen
any slugs and the whole of the vegetable plot is in a cage. so it can't
be birds. I've checked for caterpillars at night and can't see any.

I'm not sure if this is related but all my brassicas (ie broccoli
,cauliflower, cabbage and swede) a have big chunks taken from the
leaves. I've not come across this before - previous years have been
fine although this is the first year I've tried to grow cabbage - I'm
not sure if that has anything to do with it?
Any help/ideas greatly appreciated
Regards Helen