Old 05-07-2006, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
AndyS

Default Squirrel Repellent

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
As I was advised, I wetted them before skinning them to prevent fur
shedding on the meat. I then gutted and quartered them with a pair of
poultry shears. I cooked them hot and fast in a bit of butter and olive
oil with some lemon pepper, and found the meat to be surprisingly tender
and succulent, so much so that I now go after them whenever I can. ;-)
They have learned this so are now harder to hunt......

How did you cook them?

**** The last one I skinned with a pocket knife. That was a bad
choice.
It can be done, but it takes a while and makes a mess.....
I didn't know how to cook it, so I rolled it in corn meal and baked
it..
That was probably my problem.... I have since looked up recipes
on the internet, and may try again someday.....
After a little research, I learned that they carry the same tularemia
(sp?)
disease as rabbits, aka rabbit fever..... I should have worn rubber
gloves.....
Anyway, if I took all the "reccommended" precautions in cleaning them,
it would be more trouble than it is worth.....

They are fun to watch as they go about THEIR business.

I used to think so too. I used to get mad at folks that shot them, until
they started chewing holes in my siding, and getting generally
destructive and costly!

****** Yeah.. One of the little *******s go into the engine compartment
of
my motorhome and chewed up a LOT of the wires and vacuum hoses.
It took me a whole afternoon to fix the mess, and I acquainted the
neighborhood with the color and diversity of the English language in
the process....... I think that most of the homes with small children
had
"For Sale" signs in their yard the next day .. :)))))))

so do hotwires if you really don't want to kill them......

g --

***** Tell me what you mean here ... Are you talking about an electric
fence ? If so, what have you tried and how well did it work......

Andy in Eureka, Texas