Old 05-07-2006, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Squirrel Repellent

In article .com,
"AndyS" wrote:

**** The last one I skinned with a pocket knife. That was a bad
choice.
It can be done, but it takes a while and makes a mess.....

lol I use a small fillet' knife, but that's my choice if skinning
blades, even for deer.

I didn't know how to cook it, so I rolled it in corn meal and baked
it..
That was probably my problem.... I have since looked up recipes
on the internet, and may try again someday.....
After a little research, I learned that they carry the same tularemia
(sp?)
disease as rabbits, aka rabbit fever..... I should have worn rubber
gloves.....

Watch for pustules. If you find them, discard the meat. Also check the
condition of the liver. Dad taught me that at an early age. :-) Healthy
liver usually = healthy critter but still look for other signs.

Anyway, if I took all the "reccommended" precautions in cleaning them,
it would be more trouble than it is worth.....

I never bothered. So far, the ones around here have been very healthy.
Eating wild meat, hell, even eating processed meat, always incurs some
risk. Just cook until done.

They are fun to watch as they go about THEIR business.

I used to think so too. I used to get mad at folks that shot them, until
they started chewing holes in my siding, and getting generally
destructive and costly!

****** Yeah.. One of the little *******s go into the engine compartment
of
my motorhome and chewed up a LOT of the wires and vacuum hoses.
It took me a whole afternoon to fix the mess, and I acquainted the
neighborhood with the color and diversity of the English language in
the process.......

grins The ol' "100 cuss word job" eh?
My dad applies that to plumbing work! lol
I think the cursing helps with stress control.

I think that most of the homes with small children
had
"For Sale" signs in their yard the next day .. :)))))))

Heck, they shoulda paid you for the education! lol

so do hotwires if you really don't want to kill them......

g --

***** Tell me what you mean here ... Are you talking about an electric
fence ? If so, what have you tried and how well did it work......

Andy in Eureka, Texas

--
Peace!
Om