Old 05-07-2006, 01:03 PM posted to aus.gardens
ant

Default Why aren't there acorns on my little oaks?

Chookie wrote:
In article , "ant"
wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
And the trouble with most of the indigenous Monaro species is that
they are stunted ghastly bloody things to begin with. No wonder
there are so many Pinus radiata everywhere. At elast they grow in
the bad conditions and provide some shelter for stock and humans.

Thought the Monaro was supposed to be practically treeless?

Yep! Exactly. I'm looking for some pines now, actually, just to beef
up the windbreak (Lleylandii Cypress) a bit. They actually grow
here. I've tried some allegedly indigenous gums, they grow on
alpine mountain tops apparently, and are endangered (euc.
Baeuerlenii). Well I know why they're endangered, they're hopeless.
A few are struggling on, meanwhile some argyle

Well -- are you living on an alpine mountain top?!

Yes.

They don't sound indigenous to me, just native.

From the label (of one of the many that died).
10m by 8m (har). White flowers feb-march. a small endangered gum. grows on
mountain tops and escarpments in shallow stony soils. very cold tolerant
species.

apples (my least-favourite gum) are shooting up. And the mannifera
are OK too.

How about other species around the Leylandii/gums/whatever? Usually
a row of trees alone isn't much of a windbreak. You want a wave
shape -- low plants on the windward side, graduating to tall trees --
to push the wind over your house.

why do you think the cypress are in a line? I have about half an acre
planted up with them, with various wattles in amoungst them (blackwood,
rubida, silver etc). There's a bunch of birch on the northwest side, with
some casuarinas and a struggling liquidamber, and 10 birches in a copse
between the cypress and the house. An ornamental tree has just gone in by
itself, and when it dies, I'll put in a chinese elm.

I want to but the pines in on the western side, where the wind comes from,
to help the cypress a bit.

We have planted about 300 trees here. And there's room for a lot more.

--
ant