Old 04-07-2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Alana Gibson

Default When to pick Summer Squash ?

Dave wrote:

I usually grow WInter squash like Butternut or Acorn but this year I
ended up with some yellow crookneck and they are really loaded. The
problem is that I have no idea when I should be picking these. Anyone?
Thanks.

I usually pick when they are about the length of my hand, but a couple
of inches smaller or larger matter much. You will soon get the hang of
it. Hope you like them as much as we do. I like them steamed with lots
of onion and a little bell pepper, but my husband likes them fried or
boiled with some onion, then drained and some cheese added. If over
cooked they get soft or mushy.