Old 05-07-2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob

Default When to pick Summer Squash ?

Dave wrote:
aem wrote:
Dave wrote:
I usually grow WInter squash like Butternut or Acorn but this year I
ended up with some yellow crookneck and they are really loaded. The
problem is that I have no idea when I should be picking these. Anyone?
Thanks.

Pick 'em early and often. Don't let any get longer than 6". -aem

Ok, I'm too late. What happens when they get too big? Thanks.

The skins and seeds get tough -- but you can still shred them and use to
make zucchini bread, etc, or use the shreds in a stir-fry.

Try this recipe. (and I think it would work OK with all all-purpose
flour instead of half whole-wheat) It's really good served warm without
any frosting:

_Bob's Zucchini Cake_

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice

3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup oil
4 eggs

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the eggs, oil, and
zucchini and beat well. Pour into greased 9x13" pan and bake in 325º
oven for about 45 to 50 minutes.

--
Best regards,
Bob