Old 05-07-2006, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dave

Default When to pick Summer Squash ?

zxcvbob wrote:
Dave wrote:
Alana Gibson wrote:
Dave wrote:

I usually grow WInter squash like Butternut or Acorn but this year I
ended up with some yellow crookneck and they are really loaded. The
problem is that I have no idea when I should be picking these. Anyone?
Thanks.

I usually pick when they are about the length of my hand, but a couple
of inches smaller or larger matter much. You will soon get the hang of
it. Hope you like them as much as we do. I like them steamed with lots
of onion and a little bell pepper, but my husband likes them fried or
boiled with some onion, then drained and some cheese added. If over
cooked they get soft or mushy.

I steamed one that was 8+ inches (weighed a little over a pound) and
I'm not impressed. Seemed rather tasteless like a Zucchini. Is that
normal? These are smooth skinned yellow crooknecks. Thanks.

Try picking a small one, about 5 inches, and slice it and taste it raw.

When they get big they are just like zucchini, except for the color.

When they get humongous, they are probably worse than a similarly giant
zucchini.

Well, I don't know. I still don't taste much. Maybe the smooth-skinned
ones have less taste? They are pretty but that is about all I can say
for them.