Old 05-07-2006, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Harry Chickpea

Default When to pick Summer Squash ?

"Dave" wrote:

Alana Gibson wrote:
Dave wrote:

I usually grow WInter squash like Butternut or Acorn but this year I
ended up with some yellow crookneck and they are really loaded. The
problem is that I have no idea when I should be picking these. Anyone?
Thanks.

I usually pick when they are about the length of my hand, but a couple
of inches smaller or larger matter much. You will soon get the hang of
it. Hope you like them as much as we do. I like them steamed with lots
of onion and a little bell pepper, but my husband likes them fried or
boiled with some onion, then drained and some cheese added. If over
cooked they get soft or mushy.

I steamed one that was 8+ inches (weighed a little over a pound) and
I'm not impressed. Seemed rather tasteless like a Zucchini. Is that
normal? These are smooth skinned yellow crooknecks. Thanks.

When they get big, you have to change the way you cook them. Instead
of just lightly steaming them, saute a small onion in bacon fat in the
bottom of a pot, then when that is done add a lot of sliced squash on
top of that along with a teaspoon of brown sugar, some salt, and water
to cover. Cook for at least two hours over slow heat and the mass
will reduce to maybe half the volume. You can serve it as is, or with
butter or substitute, or little drops of brown sugar, or bake into a
breadcrumb cassarole. You can also batter fry the coins, but most
people don't want that much fat.