Old 05-07-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default Garden Intruders

"tahiri" wrote in message
Recent threads on four legged garden visitors reminds me to ask about

sheep.
This is a garden not a field and may have poisonous plants in it. If sheep
walk in through my open gate off the main road, I'm not responsible for
their safety am I?

If they are on your land ...... yes.... but, if you do not want them on your
land, it is YOUR responsibility to keep them off. However, read on ;-)

If they are effectively cutting my grass for me thats
fine by me. If I think it is sensible to shut the gate so they can't get

out
into the traffic again is that legally a bad idea?

Could well be if on emerging from YOUR land they cause an accident ;-(

Am I stopping them from
returning home or worse, have I stolen them?(!)

Yes

How am I supposed to find
out who they belong to

I would guess that you 'know' who your neighbours are ;-)

even if I am probably not obliged to do so?

"In the interests of neighbourlyness" ;-))
You have to live with your neighbours and whilst they might not be as
perfect as you, you have to live with their idiosyncrasies, I do ;-)))) with
mine. ;-)

If I ring
the police to find out, does that get the farmer in trouble?

Could well do as it is the Farmer's responsibility to keep his cattle in
;-)))

See what I mean? Six of One and Half a Dozen of the other ;-)) ????

T. (yes, I'm in North Wales)

Mike
Yes I am in the Isle of Wight :-))) and our Police are just as bad as yours
on the Motorist :-((

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007