Old 05-07-2006, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dave or stella @ stejonda

Default water butts

In message , Mary Fisher
writes
Proper butts can be connected with properly fitted hoses so that when
one is full the water will go to the next, and so on.

My garden slopes upwards away from the house. Tired of carrying cans of
water up the garden I've mounted two barrels next to the gutter
down-pipe but raised higher than usual (and need to be another 6-9
inches higher with hindsight). Then I have another barrel at normal
stand height off the ground 2/3 of the way up the garden (around 35ft
away). The three barrels are connected by two syphons made from lengths
of hose.

While watering the strawberries this evening it was a nice feeling that
the water filling the can was being brought uphill by gravity.

dave or stella @ stejonda