Old 05-07-2006, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default water butts

Mary Fisher writes

"Sena" wrote in message
et...
said...
Hello,

I would like to buy some water butts. Where is the best (cheapest?)
place to get them? Is the water company the cheapest? They seem to
sell them for about £35. I think in B&Q and such places it is £24 for
the butt, £10 for the stand, and the diverter is on top of that, so I
guess the water company is £10 cheaper but obviously there is a big
wait.

Big placcy dustbins? Old water tanks being removed from houses? The
latter's what my parents used to use, anyway.

The ideal is a large capacity one with a tap at the bottom to fill smaller
vessels such as watering cans. To get the vessels under the taps you need
the butt to be on a suitable - and strong - stand. Water is heavy.

Much quicker to dip the can than to wait around for it to fill from a
tap. The requirement then becomes for it to be not so deep that you
fall in when scooping up the last water from the bottom!

--
Kay