Old 05-07-2006, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default water butts

Mary Fisher writes

"K" wrote in message
Mary Fisher writes

The ideal is a large capacity one with a tap at the bottom to fill smaller
vessels such as watering cans. To get the vessels under the taps you need
the butt to be on a suitable - and strong - stand. Water is heavy.

Much quicker to dip the can than to wait around for it to fill from a tap.
The requirement then becomes for it to be not so deep that you fall in
when scooping up the last water from the bottom!

That way lies back trouble ... :-(

Back trouble comes from lifting with your body bent forward. If you're
upright when you lift, no problem. So a standard water butt on a couple
of rows of bricks works well for me - about chest height, so I'm not
bending as I heave the watering can out. But I do have to be careful
when I'm balancing on a tree branch bending down into the butt trying to
get out the last few inches of water ;-)
--
Kay