Old 06-07-2006, 06:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

Default Walnut tree for sale

"Tomes" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
About 25' high. Buyer has to dig it out and move it. What do you
think I
ought to get for it ? (upstate NY) My neighbor thinks at least $100.

Dig it out? It's only use would be lumber and at only 25' high there
won't be much usable wood. Good for firewood.

You have to be nuts to burn a Walnut tree. Full grown Walnut trees are
going for over $1500 here for lumber.
Dig it out - you might be picturing digging by hand. That's not the way
trees are moved. There is a hydraulic clamshell type device that mounts
on the back of a tractor for digging trees out.

I have many black walnut trees on my lot. When one of the really big (30
inch diameter) ones blew over a couple of years ago I could not find
anyone willing to pay me for it, and I called around everywhere around
here in NJ. They would come and get it if I paid _them_ however. They all
said there was no demand for it. I ended cutting it up for firewood and
it seems to burn just fine in my fireplace - no problem at all there.
Tomes

That's the way it goes. If you had a truck load of logs-not trees, but cut
and trimmed logs-there would have been great interest.