Old 06-07-2006, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Elizabeth

Default grafting, can it be done or is it a science fiction?

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
ups.com...
Somebody knowledgeable in grafting probably will laugh at this,
but,
please, dont.
Anyway, here is what I want I know and what I want to do:
What I know can be doneeven I have never done that) make
pears grow
on apple tree by attaching a branch from pear tree to the
trunk or
spot on apple tree wher the aple tree branch is coming from.

You could with the right technique graft apples and pears with
some degree
of success.

Now questions.

#1. Will this scenarioo work?
I cut out 10-15 cm of the skin from the branch of apple tree;
just the
skin not going deep in the wood. Then I take apple leaves;
water, blend
it in the blender a little bit until I have a paste. Put this
paste in
the pouch made from cooton towel.
Put in the pouch a seedling of apple tree with some soild
soil. Make
sure the seedlings go thru the hole in the pouch as if it would
look
when you buy it from the store; just instead of the pot it is
in the
pouch.
Place the pouch on the top of tree "wound". Tie it up to the
branch
with wet piece of the same towel. Tie it up. Keep it moist. Can
expect the new apple tree penetrate the branch, fuse with it,
and
starting to grow?

Sounds crazy to me. Where on earth did you get this from?

#2. You probably ask why all this so complicated, when it can
be done
much easier with regular grafting. Reason for that is that, if
the
answer to question # 1 is "yes"; what I really want is to try
instead
of planting apple tree; what I want is to try something like
plant a
tomato plant on the branch of equaliptyus tree. Now it is
probably from
the realm of scince fiction or is it possible?

You will not have any joy trying to graft widely different
species together,
the only reason apples and pears might work is that they are
closely
related.

BTW what is an "equaliptyus tree" ? If you mean "eucalyptus" no
chance with
a tomato.

David

#1 sounds like the OP has seen some air layering. Some significant
issues to overcome would include the fact that apple leaves do not
contain undifferentiated (stem) cells. In order to clone, these
are necessary. They can be found in buds and in cambium, but not
in leaves. Therefore the apple leaves can not develop roots, bark
or any other type of cell. Science fiction.

#2 Tomatoes and eucalytpus are about as closely related as
giraffes and goldfish. Different genes, chromosomes and
physiology, not to mention how difficult it would be to pick
tomatoes from 90 feet in the air. Bad science fiction.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63