Old 06-07-2006, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

Default snails! in my tomatoes

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 04:34:44 GMT, "Daniel Glazer"
wrote:

my buddy (!) gave me some orchids and one had a snail in it and now i see
snail trails in my tomatoe plants. my dad used to put moth balls around the
pool to keep the slugs out of the pool, so i put some moth balls in my
tomatoe (container outdoors in an urban fire escape garden) plants. i
don't exactly see them clawing their way at a breakneck pace out of the
pots, but i guess they move kinda slow.

any wards, er words, of wisdom regarding this practice? bettter ways to off
the slugs? are they a true threat, or not so malignant a threat?

Slugs and snails aren't the same thing, but both will eat a hole in
your tomatoes. There are safe, effective snail baits on the market,
both organic and non-organic. Or, since it sounds like your tomatoes
are in pots, you can put a board or an upside down egg carton beside
and in the pots. The slugs and snails will crawl under the cartons and
boards during the day, and can be removed from the plants and
destroyed.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"