Old 07-07-2006, 12:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz

Default Tomatoes - Rutgers Select

AndyS said:

Ok, yall taught me the difference between determinate and
indeterminate tomatoes...... but I have a quandry here.....

I looked up "Rutgers Select" ( which I have a pack of seeds of) on
the internet from a dozen websites.....

I would tend to lean toward accepting Cornell Cooperative Extension,
which says it is determinate. It might be a very vigorous determinate,
though, allowing for some 'opinion' on the matter. Or, it could be that
different selections from the original 'Rutgers' variety have different growth
characteristics, depending on source. Or it might vary somewhat within
the strain (as it isn't a hybrid variety).

Clear as mud, right?

So what name is on the seed packet and what do they claim?

(attributed to Don Marti)