Old 07-07-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Tree with birds nest - chopping it

On 7/7/06 11:10, in article
,
" wrote:

My thanks to all on this topic...

I'm a newbie to gardening, hence I did not know the optimal time for
pruning trees.
I acquired the tree's with the house, and whilst I'm not a fan, I don't
have any alternatives to hiding the fence behind them.

I've explained to the neighbour, and shown them the active nest, and
they are happy to leave it, until later in the year.

Nonetheless, I'd be inclined to firmly and politely state that you intend to
keep the trees at whatever height you (reasonably) decide upon. Most fences
go to 6' and 9' is not unreasonable when it's not shading them! In fact,
you could point out to them that, in this instance, your privacy guarantees
theirs. I do think it would be a good idea to draw the boundaries firmly
and literally on this one while it's in discussion.
And, depending on where you live, this group could give you excellent
suggestions for evergreen hedging and flowering shrub planting which would
hide your fence if you tire of the leylandii and having to keep them clipped
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk