Old 07-07-2006, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

Default AOS/"Orchids" question

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 21:49:42 -0400 in danny wrote:
Isn't it $72 for you? Could be worse. I have to decide whether to shell
out 51 pounds for another year of "Sight and Sound" from Britain. I like
their movie reviews, but it's gettin' a bit pricey.
-danny

Okay, I'll bite, what's the appeal of periodicals in this day and
age?
I gave up on periodicals after the incident where Mother Earth News
discovered how to misuse desktop publishing software.
I could no longer fathom paying my money for a bunch of ads that
never seemed to target me, with a bunch of articles that appeared to
be thinly veiled press releases, and a lot of bad graphic design
without redeeming content.
(Granted, most of my periodicals were computer industry).

I can see plunking down the cash for a book with good content
or the rarity a book with good content and good form.
But a periodical that comes out period after period is going
to have spells of bad content at best.
--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."