Old 07-07-2006, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

Default Slow release Fertilizer

On 6 Jul 2006 20:36:25 -0700 in .com Nancy G. wrote:

There was one grower that told me, he doesn't feed his orchids if it is
raining. The atmosphere is 70% nitrogen, and for some reason a rain
drop captures it and the plant can use it more efficiently than pouring
a bucket of water over the roots. True? Beats the heck out of me, but
I do know that one good rain will do the orchids more good than all the
water I can pour or spray on them. Maybe it's the microdust in rain...

Lightning storms do fix some nitrogen, plus some components of smog are
high in nitrogen and are readily dissolved in water.

--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."