Old 18-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Snowdrop planting

The message
from (Rodger Whitlock)
contains these words:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:23:52 -0000, Jack wrote:

One more question - will snowdrops grow through a lawn? I planted some
anemone blanda in my lawn and none of them have come up, so I'm
wondering if
snowdrops will struggle to get through the grass too.

Snowdrops will do fine. AB can be a bit miffy; I've never managed to
get them to flower even in their first season, (in acid soil and a high
rainfall area).

Although lots of gardening books yap about overplanting bulbs, I
was advised by a very experienced bulb grower that by and large
bulbs do not like overplanting. The over-plant competes with the
bulbs, and by shading the soil prevents proper warm summer
dormancy.

Grass probably qualifies as an overplanting, except in the case
of some of the larger, more strongly growing daffodils.

Counterexample: Crocus vernus naturalized in a local park's
lawns.

That advice must be a result of your slightly different climate in
summer. In the UK many underplanted, shaded bulbs do very well;
bluebell, snowdrop and wild daffodil woods would be a prime example. All
those bulbs do just as well in open rough grassland/grazing, wherever
the soil is not very dry in summer...and self seed there. Snakeshead
fritillaries grow in dampish grazing meadows too.

Municipal mown-grass road verges, parks and green spaces all over the
UK are a glory of densely planted crocus and narcissi atm, thriving on
no supplementary feeding and usually, only a few weeks of post-flowering
leaf growth before mowing begins.The bulbs multiply from year to year
but seldom get chance to spread by seeding, because of the early mowing.

Isn't camassia native to you? They do extremely well here, planted
under rough grass, and even self-seed into it.

Janet.