Old 18-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Snowdrop planting

The message
from (Rodger Whitlock)
contains these words:

But I'm curious if anyone knows for sure if snowdrop roots are
perennial or annual?

Annual, but it's a very long season (like narcissi, which start making
their new roots by midsummer). In our last garden we had many thousands
of each naturalised, so inevitably some got dug up in summer by dogs,
moles, or me :-o

The spring snowflake, /Leucojum vernum/, a very close relative to
the snowdrop, is much worse about being dried out. I've planted
roughly two hundred bulbs of it over the last fifteen years but
only a very few have survived and established themselves.

In the same garden, I planted 50 Lv in 1988; only about 10 of them
survived. They flowered but didn't seem to increase so never made a show
worth having. The ones that lived, were planted in a *very* soggy bit of
a wooded area. I think you are right, they are very sensitive to dry
conditions.

Janet.