Old 08-07-2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Default Can someone diagnose this problem?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Plant Info" wrote in message ...

Here is my area where we have heavy clay, the soil tends to be very alkaline, so adding gypsum only makes the soil more alkaline -- not a good thing.

That's like saying "This stuff will stop you from bleeding to death, but it may also cause the wound to heal with a bit more of a scar".

Some people have clay soil that is so totally out of hand that altering its pH for a season or two is something worth dealing with, if the gypsum otherwise does its job.

I have much less experience than most folks here, but this seems like
good advice. I see no reason why the 'percolation'/whatever aspect can't
be addressed at the same time some pine needle mulch/compost or other
soil pH amelioration is done. (Ironite, sulfur, epsom salts,etc.)

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)