Old 08-07-2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default Can someone diagnose this problem?

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
. com...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Plant Info" wrote in message

Here is my area where we have heavy clay, the soil tends to be very
alkaline, so adding gypsum only makes the soil more alkaline -- not a
good thing.

That's like saying "This stuff will stop you from bleeding to death, but
it may also cause the wound to heal with a bit more of a scar". Some
people have clay soil that is so totally out of hand that altering its pH
for a season or two is something worth dealing with, if the gypsum
otherwise does its job.

I have much less experience than most folks here, but this seems like good
advice. I see no reason why the 'percolation'/whatever aspect can't be
addressed at the same time some pine needle mulch/compost or other soil pH
amelioration is done. (Ironite, sulfur, epsom salts,etc.)

Carl

A few weeks back, someone explained that gypsum works via a chemical
process, not a mechanical one, so it might NOT be a good idea to address the
pH situation while it's working. I don't know - I'm just saying it's worth
looking into, which might be as simple as calling the company whose name is
on the bag of gypsum.