Old 08-07-2006, 01:07 PM posted to aus.gardens
ant

Default Gardening Day!

FlowerGirl wrote:
"Chookie" wrote in message

It was good to get stuck into it today!

snip

Lucky you!
We've called a halt to all new planting activities as its currently
such an effort to keep existing plants alive (our garden is mostly
native plants and a couple of dwarf varieties of leptospermum are not
coping well.)

It's dry here too, but we sank a bore a few years back, and so can put
dripper on the trees and various plants. BUT, for the past 2 summers,
there's been these wingless grasshopper things in a plague, and they eat
everything. Many plants, and some trees, have succumbed. Others are badly
damaged and just struggle on but they're not happy.

If they come again this summer, many things won't survive. Drip irrigation
keeps things alive, but proper rain would be much better. The plants are
weakened by the long dry, and the grasshoppers are finishing the job.

--
ant