Old 08-07-2006, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Guy Fawkes

Default Adding Value

"Mike" wrote in message

"Ray Mooney" wrote in message
I am thinking about having my back garden tidied up and made low
maintenance. I estimate that this will cost circa £2,000. At the moment
it
doesnt look great - It needs fencing/trellis both sides to make it
private
and there is too much in there in terms of bushes/trees etc. Can I ask
whether this investment would pay off in terms of adding value to my
property i.e would it at least add £2,000 to the valuation?

Yes if the next person is likes it.

No if the next person in is put off by it and 'knocks you down' in price
because of the work which has got to be done to 'tidy the garden up'

As an example, one of my daughters is buying another house. The bathroom
has
only been in for a couple of years. It is awful and we are stripping it
out
and replacing it. Possibly £3000 worth 'down the drain' and cheapened the
house as far as my daughter is concerned.

However, if you want to invest that amount 'for your pleasure', then yes.

I am spending about £1000 putting a verandah across the back of the house.
"We" like it. I doubt if it has put £1000 on the house and if the next
people in, ........... when we pop our cloggs, don't like it, then a
mornings work with a saw and a hammer takes it down :-((

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Doesnt seem worth spending any money on a property in your neck of the
woods, Mike.

I understood the particularly run down area of Lake where you live, is
likely to be "redeveloped" before very long.....................