Old 08-07-2006, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Adding Value

Ray Mooney writes
I am thinking about having my back garden tidied up and made low
maintenance. I estimate that this will cost circa £2,000. At the moment it
doesnt look great - It needs fencing/trellis both sides to make it private
and there is too much in there in terms of bushes/trees etc. Can I ask
whether this investment would pay off in terms of adding value to my
property i.e would it at least add £2,000 to the valuation?

Well, as a gardener, I find the concept of 'too much in there in terms
of bushes/trees' hard to get my mind around. If I were a potential
buyer, I'd be put off by an 'instant' minimalist garden - I'd be
comparing it with an equivalent amount of bare space and be estimating
how much it would cost me to remove the decking, excess patio etc.

Otoh, since you are not a gardener, a tidy desert will sell the house
better than a well-planted overgrown jungle.

My advice would be to do whatever you need to make back garden work for
you, at whatever cost is worth it to you, and not to assess in terms of
increased value.

Otoh, if what you are asking us is 'I am about to sell my house and want
to do whatever quick tarting up will increase its value' an estate agent
will probably give better advice.
--
Kay