Old 08-07-2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Tracey

Default Sander's List

jtill wrote:
Having googled up Oct-Dec 2005 of the list the question is, how does
anyone select an orchid? There are folk on these forums that have
several hundred plants. I don't see how they make/made an informed
choice. There are just to many. There are no "All American" lists. No
one reviewer can cover the available plants. Search for a fragrant
orchid spins off into hundreds of classifications, opinions, and
questions like "What is fragrance?". It is like finding the prettiest
grain of sand on a beach, a large beach. How to build a collection?
Beats me.
Joe T
Confused in Baytown

Depends on what kind of collection you want. My collecting is
done in two different ways. There's the 'Oh, that's *beautiful*.
I just gotta have it!' plants and then there's the 'It's on the
clearance table and I have no clue what it looks like but it's
cheap' plants. :P

It seems that most people tend to start gravitating towards the
kinds that they like the best. Pretty colors, biggest flowers,
most unusual flowers. My collection is very small but it's
pretty varied.

Tracey