Old 08-07-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Adding Value

On 8/7/06 10:22, in article , "Ray
Mooney" wrote:

I am thinking about having my back garden tidied up and made low
maintenance. I estimate that this will cost circa £2,000. At the moment it
doesnt look great - It needs fencing/trellis both sides to make it private
and there is too much in there in terms of bushes/trees etc. Can I ask
whether this investment would pay off in terms of adding value to my
property i.e would it at least add £2,000 to the valuation?

When are you planning to sell your house? If it's going on the market this
month, probably not. If you're talking about living there for five years
and then moving on, possibly. Certainly, anyone looking at your property or
having it surveyed would be aware that the fences need re-doing and would
probably reduce their offer accordingly. Planting is another matter and is
very personal. Many would-be buyers would like a totally blank canvas,
others would appreciate what estate agents describe in tempting terms as "a
mature garden". If you're going to live in it for yourself for quite a
while, do it to your own taste. If you're going to sell it soon, I'd tidy
up the shrubs with a bit of judicious cutting back, mow the lawn and tidy
the edges of the lawn, too. Nothing makes a garden look presentable faster
than neat grass.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk