Old 08-07-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Mabbett

Default Paving slabs for edging raised beds.

The scaffolding plans with which I edged my raised beds some years ago
are starting to break up.

I'm considering replacing them with 2x2 or 2x3 (feet) concrete paving
slabs ("flags", if you must).

Would it be sufficient to bury half of the 2' side of a slab, or should
I bury 3' slabs end on, to 2' depth, or are more solid footings
required?

V V ^ ^
V V | |
V V | |
SSSSSSSV VSSSSSS | 1' |2' or 3'
V V | |
V V | |
VHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHV _ |
V V ^ |
V V | |
V V |1' |
V V |or 2' |
V V | |
V V _ _

whe

V = vertically buried slab. 1' (or 18") above path

H = Horizontal slab on path between beds (acts as spacer)

S = Soil level ion raised beds (say 6" above path)

What I don't want is for the slabs to lean outwards from the paths.

--
Andy Mabbett
Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: http://www.no2id.net/

Free Our Data: http://www.freeourdata.org.uk