Old 08-07-2006, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Filling in a garden pond

On 4/6/06 21:11, in article
, "Cheryl"
wrote:

We have inherited a pond in the house we have bought but have decided to
fill it in.

We do like the pond but our garden is tiny and it takes up half the space.
Plus we have begun to think long term. Ie starting a family and feel that
it is just easier/safer to fill it in a gain a bigger garden aswell.

I was wondering what would be the best way to fill to pond.. we will be
digging up lots of concrete slab, will these be ok?

plus any ideas of the best way to rehome the fishes? we dont know anyone
else with a pond!

Please, please don't fill it in! Fence it with vertical or netting fencing
or look at putting in one of those just-below-the-surface metal grilles but
do keep it. Children have grown up beside rivers, seaside, harbours, lakes
and ponds for centuries. Take reasonable precautions but keep it! Aquatic
wildlife is struggling to survive for just this sort of reason, so please
consider enclosing your pond while necessary and imagine the future joy your
children will get from observing the wildlife as it comes and goes. We have
3 ponds here and a now 5 yo grand child. She is absolutely riveted by the
arrival of the frogs and toads in their dozens each spring, begs to be taken
out to see them on their march to the ponds on rainy nights, delights in the
spawn and then the tadpoles and spends quite some time trying to find the
little fingernail sized toads or frogs once they emerge. Visiting children
to this nursery are mesmerised when I feed the fish and they surge to the
surface for their lunch.
Fence it.
--
Sacha