Old 09-07-2006, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Matthew Reed

Default What to plant in summer?

Why would you want to plant tomatoes & peppers if you already have them
growing? Here's a list of things you could plant in July, ***if*** you
were gardening in Boston. This is from Crockett's Victory Garden.
Obviously, you'll need to make adjustments because Boston has at least an
extra month of growing season. But, this is a decent guideline. Anything
with an asterisk is something that'll handle some cold weather, and so
might be a better bet. And, for beans, stick with the bush variety at this
point, not pole beans.

Plant:
Beans
Beets*
Carrots*
Chinese Cabbage*
Collards*
Cucumbers (bush variety, fast grower)
Kale*
Lettuce* will handle some frost, with protection at night
Radishes*
Rutabagas*

You might also get away with broccolli. Some are as tough as kale &
collards, and will laugh at frost. Tastes MUCH better when it matures in
cool weather. And, here are a few things NOT in the books' list, which I
have good luck with at this time:

Spinach
Swiss Chard
Fennel

In August, you can plant peas, endive and spinach (again). You might also
consider investing in a cold frame. It'll enable you to grow quite a few
things right into October or November.

Thanks for all the good advice. Actually, I would not want to plant peppers
and tomatoes, I have enough, I was just commenting on it being too late to
plant them. I don't have warm fuzzies about the beans. My beans didn't start
to grow good until late June when the weather warmed up. Around here, the
weather can cool off and stay cool at the end of August. Also, I didn't see
turnips or mustard on the list, I'm guessing you can plant them also? I
thought that carrots and beets should be planted in August, when summer is
almost over - goes to show how much I know