Old 09-07-2006, 08:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Type of Zoysia & Mulch to Use

David Anderson wrote:
wrote:

I'm going to have zoysia sod put in at my new house in Raleigh, NC. The
landscaping company is asking me which type of zoysia I want. Does
anyone know the best types for my area and have any preferences?

Also, they are saying that they will supply me with triple-shredded
mulch. Is there anything that I need to verify (ex. type, age, etc)
regarding the mulch?

I live in North Dakota and was thinking about putting zoysia grass in my
yard here and have a few questions for those of you who might know more
about this topic. There is also farm land (i.e., many acres of wheat
fields) near my house. What type of border do I need to put down so that
the zoysia does not invade the crop spaces?

Is there a specific type of zoysia that would be best for the northern
climate here? I know the grasses originated in Korea and should be
somewhat cold hardy, but does anyone know what the coldest temperature they
can endure is? I was also wondering how warm the ground temperature needs
to get prior to the zoysia greening again in the spring.

I was thinking about going with the Zoysia Farm Nurseries for the initial
grass. Does anyone here have any experience working with them? Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

David

IMO, zoysia is a poor choice for northern climates, even if it will
survive the winter. A neighbor has it here in coastal NJ. It goes
brown in Oct and looks like dead straw all winter. It doesn't return
to green until mid May. My bluegrass/fescue will stay a nice green
most of the winter, only going off color Feb, and quickly greening up
again in early April. Zoysia performance in ND has to be worse.