Old 09-07-2006, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Leaf cutter bees

On 9/7/06 11:16, in article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 8/7/06 13:12, in article
,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

snip

You can encourage them by bundling short lengths of hollow cane together
and
hanging the bundle from a tree.

No encouragement needed as we're surrounded by many hedges and trees etc.
However, I will now handle the bamboo canes we use with great respect and
care!

They won't lay eggs in vertical canes, only horizontal ones and rarely on
the ground.

We store them horizontally!

As far as I know leaf cutter bees don't sting, they have an ovipositor
instead of a sting. I've handled many with confidence, never been stung and
I sometimes have an anaphylactic reaction to honey bee stings.

I am now extremely allergic to beestings, so I'm glad to hear this about
these bees.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk