Old 09-07-2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default Tiny Snails!

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 08:15:57 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

I would guess they are "bush snails", which are neither attracted to-, nor
killed by most slug and snail baits. As far as I know, only Mesurol is
listed for them, and it is unfortunately, a restricted use chemical here in
PA. (It's probably available in other states, so if anyone finds a source,
please let me know.)

For what it's worth - and I apologize to all for bringing this up again -
but I have noted the apparent elimination of them from plants that have been
repeatedly sprayed with coffee (yeah, that caffeine question again).

Of more concern though, is the fact that they have appeared on a mounted
plant. Unless you just got it and it came to you that way, I would fear
that you have a much bigger population elsewhere in your collection, and
bush snails can be pretty nasty on your plants.

I have had some luck with the snail baits that are almost a paste. I
put a drop in each corner of a pot I suspect they are in or on an old
label I can move around and lay flat. I don't remember the name, it
is something like slug-go... but don't quote me.

The ONE think I will tell you is to be VERY careful NOT to SQUISH
them. It is such a temptation to pick them off and squish them, then
you reach for another and contiue. But - These things are
hermaphrodites. Each squish fertalizes the eggs that snail carries
and soon you find YOU are seeding you plants with microscopic size
snails. And the whole works is worse. IF you do pick them off, one
of the most effective methods - I agree, dump them in a waste basket -
do not squish.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids