Old 10-07-2006, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Savage

Default Do Snapdragons Self-Seed Easily?

Ann writes:
"Leon Trollski" expounded:

They must, because I did not plant any this year!

Yes, they do, I've got babies out there growing, too.

I'd like to know how you manage it! I grew masses of snapdragons from
supermarket seedlings, and then harvested thousands of seeds when they
had dried. Both that summer and the next I planted lots, anticipating
a self-perpetuating mass of blooms til eternity: very dark seeds for
the red flowers, and lighter seeds from showey yellow blooms. Not one
seedling came up!! I tried a few different conditions, still nothing.

I could only conclude they were a hybrid that doesn't give rise to
viable seeds. How disappointing. I'd convinced myself that I was set
to never buy another packet of snapdragon seeds again. That would be
Frugal with a capital F!!!